Halloween Safety Tips for Pets

Halloween is a fun time for “trick or treaters,” but there are a few things to watch out for when it comes to your dog. Make sure to keep the “treats” up – dogs have great noses for sniffing out the good stuff and getting into the bowl.

1. Candies and Treats – Many of the sugar-free gums and candies use xylitol as their sweetener. It is a natural sugar replacement that can be poisonous to dogs. The issues that can arise are mostly related to a sudden drop in their blood sugar, loss of coordination and seizures. Chocolate is another problem area, notably the darker the chocolate. The issues that could be seen with this include vomiting, diarrhea, and possible increased heart rate

2. Boxes and packaging – A dog doesn’t care much about the packaging and will eat right through it (or even eat it as well). Sometimes this becomes the issue when it has potential to irritate its travels, and in some cases can cause an intestinal blockage.

3. Non-toxic treats – Even the non-toxic treats can cause issues. They are not used to these foods and treats and because of that, they can cause upset guts. Diarrhea, vomiting and just general feeling poorly are not uncommon. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing.

So, keep a close eye on all the Fun Treats from Halloween, save them for the goblins and witches and call your vet clinic if you have any concerns with anything that your dog may have eaten.

Written by Manitou Animal Hospital