It is summertime, and everyone wants to go away for a bit of a holiday. Unfortunately, we cannot always take our pets with us. Sometimes they are best left at home with family or a sitter, and sometimes they need to go for a vacation of their own – to be boarded.
They are a few things to consider doing before you go to make sure your pets are okay while you are out:
- Leave emergency numbers where you can be reached. If something happens with your pets, you need to be able to be reached.
- Let your vet clinic know you are going to be away and who is watching your pets. Especially important if your pets have an underlying health concern.
- Make sure that if something happens who will be able to take care of the costs that may incur when you are away.
- Consider getting additional vaccines, such as Bordetella. Important if you are leaving your pet somewhere there are likely to be many animals around.
- Pick up some anti-anxiety products to use. Some products should be started even before you go away. Adaptil and
- Feliway is a pheromone product that is used in the home to “take the edge off” the stress. They should be plugged in before any big changes, such as getting out the suitcases.
- Make sure you have left those watching your pet enough food and medications for the time you are away. You do not want to run out.
- If your pets go to day-care, do they offer an overnight option?
The best way to avoid too much stress for your pets is to try to keep routine changes to a minimum.
We all what to have great holidays, including our pets and these suggestions may help. If you have any questions about the best option for your pet when you go away, give us a call at 519.893.1360.
Written by: Manitou Animal Hospital